California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!

California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!
California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Day 31 - Long Exposure


The last day, and I was struggling to figure out something to take a picture of with a long exposure that matched my color scheme!!   I tried pouring water into a clear glass pitcher to see how the bubbling action would show up over a few seconds.  Not good!  Then I had a better idea!   I tried rolling a tangerine across my backyard patio.  Now that visual should scare all of you.  There I was, laying on my stomach on the stone, trying to focus my camera, which was propped on the stone, so of course I had to turn my head sideways to even see through the viewfinder.  I'm way too old for this.....  Plus activating the shutter while trying to roll a stupid tangerine not too fast in front of the lens.... well, it just wasn't working out at all.

So I walked around the kitchen and saw these silk oak leaves that I use for filler on plates when I entertain.  They were garnishing a bowl of lemons.  Bingo!  I'll have them blowing in the wind!  But, alas, there was no wind.  So I went into my family room where there was an unadorned wall, and I stood about 10 feet in front of it to avoid shadows, arm outstretched with the leaves in my hand, and experimented with shutter speeds and ISO to get a decent exposure.  I was able to get about a 1/2 second exposure while I slowly moved my hand.  So here I am with camera in right hand held up to face (unsupported other than by hand holding it up), and left arm outstretched holding these leaves and moving them slowly.  I'm sure there is a combination of camera shake and intentional hand movement that has resulted in this image, which I actually like!

So, there you have it.  Trials and tribulations of getting a shot on the last day of the challenge.  

8 comments:

  1. This is very, very wonderful! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story of lying on the deck reminds me of when I did my red shoes shot, and was also lying on the floor in our lounge room and hopping up and down to mess with the lights, the bokeh and the shoes and laces. Garrah! Too old for that.

    As to your shot, I think a tripod is in order for you. That would have made your endeavour SOOO much easier. But I love the outcome you have, whether it's from movement or camera shake or both (I'm sure it must be both). It's a lovely artistic outcome and the colour really does blend with your poster fabulously. Nice work!

    And a hearty congratulations for finishing the whole month in style and producing such a lovely body of work that really stands to make a striking poster and portfolio. Nicely done. Thanks for the encouragement and feedback along the way. I really did appreciate it to help keep me motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty -- the kind of thing that would look great printed on Watercolor paper. It's so ethereal and soft and just perfect for your poster. I get the thing about taking a pic and trying to click with one hand and move something with the other. Had a bit of a taste of that today. I know you have a tripod and I do too, but when I can shoot without it, I do prefer to. There is just something about moving your body and the camera is a part of you that feels right to me.. move and change angle.. move again up and down etc., it's very different with a tripod. Anyways, I think it is gorgeous and a lovely way to finish off your month.
    Thank you also for coming to my blog and leaving me such amazing comments and giving me support along the way. Heck, if you and Shirley had not concocted this list; I wouldn't even have played. Congrats also on finishing the month and let me say, in super style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess you sneaked it past them all... that the month had worn on you so much it turned you into a shadow of your former self... aka the winged skull in the lower left corner. So fitting that the leaves are the wings as you are wafting about. I hope you do settle long enough though to complete the survivors contest. And congratulations on completing the challenge in "master" style, your poster is super :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great abstract outcome after all that palava. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful abstract end to your challenge, the combination of movement, has worked so well and what a great match for your poster. Congratulations on a stunning month of photos!
    That was an inspired idea to work with Shirley to come up with the list, it has made it all such great fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice simple (although not the execution!) way to finish the challenge. Your colour theme has worked so well (although I can imagine frustrating too), and I have enjoyed looking at all your images. Although I haven't commented on them all, I am so appreciative of all the commenting you've done on all my images, thankyou!
    Looking forward to what you produce in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very beautiful & tranquil piece of art. You should print this and hang it on a bedroomwall.
    A belated congrats to you for finishing the month in great style and keeping the colourscheme. I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete