California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!

California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!
California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!

Friday, January 30, 2015

Day 30 - Egg


Egg.... raw, hard-boiled, fried, scrambled, deviled, whole, broken..... lots of choices.   Somehow, I saved today's picture until after I went out for lunch with a friend.  By the time I got back, I was full, and didn't want to think about anything relating to food, or edible.   I certainly didn't want to cook an egg (and feel duty-bound to eat my prop).  What do do? 

I'm not great at setting up little scenes, so I just grabbed my grandmother's (the crocheted doily and button grandma) old wooden chopping bowl (another memento) and just put a bunch of eggs in it.  Boring.  So I decided that showing the bright yolk would at least enliven the scene, so I cracked one of the eggs and voila!  Some color!  Not a particularly inspired shot, but I took the bowl into my backyard and the late afternoon indirect sun at least provided some soft light and shadows.    So, looking at the positive side of things, the lighting is good and the yolk pops.   :)

Ok, one more day to go!!  I think I can!

8 comments:

  1. I love how you say you were uninspired and then show us that you are a whiz at balancing eggs. How did they not topple over. Where I live, eggs roll. haha! I love that you used your grandmas chopping bowl as it shows a bunch of nicks from years of preparing food for her family. Do you use it also. == Great texture, great balancing act.. they are now ready to join the circus. :-D one more day!!! Yay..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully arranged with that yellow yolk to add pop, against the well used board.

    How did you keep them still and in the right place? Is it you who uses the jewelers wax stuff? Only one more day to go - then what will we do with ourselves :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is not a magic balancing act. The eggs are in a wooden bowl that I am shooting down into - not a flat chopping block. Gravity keeps the eggs at the bottom, and the lighter weight of the half-shell and yolk (the white of the egg is removed, so less weight) just sits on top of the other eggs and does not displace them. :)

      Delete
  3. So I was convinced that you used your chewing gum trick. It surely does look like a mystery... my eggs all roll Maybe gravity is different further up the coast :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, how did you keep those eggs from getting away! The yolk does stand out. Nice lighting too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great balancing act! Love the bright yellow colour pop and the three underneath look very cool against the warm wood tones. And you are right, the lighting is lovely. I always envy the white eggs you guys have. Ours are all brown and don't look nearly as good in photos.

    (And it is only evident they are in a bowl once I read it and could look really hard for the changing focal area as it changes from the frame edges. Nice idea!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely composed. Great lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having them in a bowl creates a nice radial change in focus. I love the well used wooden textures against the fresh white eggs. The yellow pop definately makes the shot pop.

    ReplyDelete