California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!

California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!
California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!

Friday, January 23, 2015

Day 23 - Button


Button, button, who's got the button?  I tried to come up with something interesting - some different kind of button.  At 12:05 a.m. I went downstairs to the garage, with a handy-dandy LED light, to try to take a picture of the red starter button on my husband's car.  Ok, so it was dirty and I cleaned it, but alas, it was on a black dashboard, and I didn't like how it came out, so I went to bed without my picture, but at least I'd have all day to think about it.  After waking up, I started thinking of what I could find of interest that had a button.  At my dentist's office, I asked if they had any interesting buttons on machinery.  Nope.  When I came home, I scoured my closet for anything that would fit my color scheme.  Another nope.  

So I decided to look in my sewing basket for a button, and then it hit me.  I have my mother's and grandmother's sewing baskets!  I kept the baskets after they died as mementos.  I looked in my grandmother's basket and there must have been 100 buttons!  Some loose, and some on cardboard backings that they were packaged in for sale!  And bingo!  Some red ones!  The packaging must be 50 years old.  The price of buttons now is much more than 40 cents for three buttons.  As a matter of fact, it looks like the price of 40 cents may have been reduced to 14 cents!  What a deal!

So with my treasures in hand, I went downstairs and retrieved a little round doily that my grandmother had crocheted for me and gingerly placed the buttons on it.  The doily has faded from its original white/cream to a beige-ish, and it worked perfectly with my color scheme.

So, I accomplished more than taking my daily picture.  I had a little trip down memory lane, looking at my grandma's sewing basket, with some threaded needles still affixed to the upholstered top of the basket...just as she had left them.  It was nice to stop and just think about one of my favorite people.


8 comments:

  1. When I read about your search for the perfect button,iIt feels like you were supposed to find these and have a few moments remembering your grandmum. Something as simple as a few buttons can carry you away to another to another time and a special person.
    I love how you placed them on the doily that she made you as that makes it more special. The buttons are beautiful and the cost? omg!!! that's how you can tell how old they are. Love the photo and especially the sentiment behind it. Eury

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice story, and I do like how your gallery is turning out. Nice find and nicely framed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely colours for your theme and lovely soft lighting to highlight the shininess of the buttons without overdoing the sheen. The doily was a great touch to really ram home the nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story Carol. You're entering the realms of family history here, you need to jot down your memories of your Gran before you completely forget them. Nice shot also. (nearly forgot).

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are showing our age by finding very old buttons. I used my mother's button box for my photo. Love your lighting and you're keeping with your color theme too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such persistence for perfection! You nailed it, and it is oh so wonderful to think of the ones we love, and for whom we have very warm fond memories. After all they are part of what makes us who we are! Such a pretty shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The memories add extra layers to the image.
    At first glance at the challenge posting page, the buttons looked liked candy to me and I wondered about the white paper :)
    Well done, but knowing you would not have done it otherwise, on lighting them enough to show depth but not to much to get unwanted reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful translucency on the buttons, they look perfectly at home on the doily.
    What a wonderful trip you had today without even leaving the house :-)
    I have my mothers old plastic sewing box (complete with original fabric used to patch my old teddy bear), after she inherited her mothers lovely wooden one, which she still uses.

    ReplyDelete