California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!

California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!
California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Day 21 - Basket


I'm so excited I got to take a picture of my tiny basket!  This little (about 2 - 2 1/2" in diameter) Navajo basket was given to me many years ago by a co-worker, when I was a college student working part-time in a medical office.  She was an older woman who was delighted that I was studying Anthropology and had done a dig and some survey work in the American Southwest area, where the Navajo reservation is located, and she wanted to pass along this basket that she, too, had been given many years prior.  It's got to be at least 50 - 60 years old based on what I know.  It's a lovely memento that has followed me in many moves and I treasure it.   It's in front of a larger basket that I use frequently for serving breads/rolls/chips at parties.  Both are important to me in obviously different ways.

8 comments:

  1. Nice! Love the size contrast between what look like huge strands of basketry in the big one against the small little strands and detail of the baby one. The reflection on the table looks great too. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great little basket and what a fantastic way to show it's size by placing it in front of a big one for comparison. I can see how precious it is to you and Love this composition. Looks great. I wonder if the T shape in the design has a particular significance. Beautiful work, again! :-) Eury

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the background story and reference to scale here. Nice brown tones and nicely focused on the small subject :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice and I also like the size difference and the reflection. Love the simple colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful way to showcase your little treasure, keeping it simple works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is so cool about finding things in your home to photograph for this challenge... it brings so many memories forward. That must have been a very interesting time for you... an archeological dig!! You have such a history :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for adding the size of the little basket, it adds to the story. I love those reflections and the details in the weaving.

    ReplyDelete