California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!

California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!
California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Day 27 - Fruit (Inside)


Ok, so we've all seen the insides of fruit.  What kind of fruit should I get?  Something pretty, not bland, something easily sliceable/cuttable and most important, it has to fit into my color scheme.  So I went to the store and bought a nectarine (pretty on the outside, for sure), a deep red plum (which should have a gradation of color in it from yellow to orange to deep red), a nice richly-colored ripe apricot, and a blood orange.   

Eager to try an abstract of the variegated plum, I cut that first.  I cut a nice slice down the middle and around the pit.  Now to just twist it apart and see that lovely inside.  Whoops! Wrong!  A little too ripe, so it got a bit squooshy as I tried to twist it.  Then, of course, the fruit stuck to the pit and didn't separate from it like in all those wonderful stock photos. Hmmmm... So I tried individual wedge shaped slices, but, while they did have some color gradation, the handling of the plum caused some serious mushiness at the edges and around where it had attached to the pit.  Darn!   Oh well, what to do with those little wedge slices I cut?  Of course I ate them while pondering my next move.

The apricot.  Firm, but still beautifully colored, and ripe.  Again I cut around the center, and the compliant apricot separated nicely into two pieces.  But....boorrriiinnnngggggg.  Yes, it was a nice rich color, but no texture to speak of.  Ok, so that, too got swiftly dispatched to my stomach.  

Ok, I only have two fruits left before another grocery store run...  the nectarine.. Beautiful yellow-orange-crimson skin with those tiny little speckles.  But alas, not being completely ripe, it was pale inside, hard as a rock, and it, too wouldn't rotate free of the pit.  But, that went into the trash, as it was still crunchy.  I don't like crunchy nectarines.

So, by default, I was left with the blood orange.  More interesting than those regular oranges on my tree, and definitely beautiful up close. I got this shot, using the toothpicks on some plastic glasses to hold up the slice while it was lit from behind.  I was going to crop it and go for an abstract macro, but something about the lines of the glasses and toothpicks just made me leave it as is and not try get in close. I may save that abstract for another day!




6 comments:

  1. When I saw this shot on Worth, I was so surprised as I loved the idea -- suspended there like a tight rope walker. I'm glad you didn't crop it as it is so interesting this way and very creative.
    I laughed at the fruit cutting adventure as I had a few problems with my fruit today too-- ahem -- especially the plum. :-D

    Even though this was your last fruit, it is perhaps lucky as it turned out so great and I love how parts of the fruit as so red and seem to actually be bleeding. Great shot! You go girl! -- oh and only 4 more to do! Your poster is going to look amazing!
    Eury

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. It reminds me of one of those gym bunny guys, working out and showing off how he can suspend himself between two chairs or something. So cute. The lighting is great, and I love the softness of the edges of the glasses as a backdrop to the crisp focus of the main attraction. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice setup. Love the strong colours in the blood orange and the texture in its folds! (slartibartfast would be envious!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect that the fruit were not necessarily "not cooperating"... I think you just were in a hurry to eat them. I took my fruit shots hours apart, so my treats were spaced out. This is so interesting because the sides of the cups just dissolve, and yet the toothpicks are sharp and distinguished. What a pretty fruit inside :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply beautiful! I love the softness in colour and focus of the cups and the vibnrant colours and focus of the fruit. It reminds me of that wooden toy where you can balance it and have it roll down between two sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The stunning, beautifully photographed orange slice is a real attention grabbing hero! Then we can move out from it to appreciate the accompanying players role in the finished shot. Well done on another fabulous shot for your poster!

    ReplyDelete