California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!

California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!
California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Day 20 - Vegetable


When I went to the store last night to look for some vegetables, I was thinking of something like corn for my color scheme (yep, Marga), which I bought.  As I was walking down the produce area, I saw the beets, and the produce department staff had cut some of the beets to show the patterns on the inside, so I got the idea to do some beets, cut to show their circles, but of course you don't know when you buy a beet what kind of pattern it will have inside.   So I bought one red beet and one golden beet and kept my fingers crossed.

I didn't want to do slices with rings, since I'd already done circles one day this month, the round eyeball was yesterday, and my round apple stack was the day before.  So I decided to see what would happen if I cut my beets into cubes.  The first one was the golden beet, and I was disappointed at the lack of major color differentiation.  A picture of just that beet cube would be boring.  So I tried the red beet.  Imagine my delight to see all sorts of different patterns on the different sides of the cube!  Looking at them, they looked like tie-dyed cubes!

Still not sure if my cubes would make a decent picture, I did do a photo of fresh corn with melting butter on it as well, which came out mouth-wateringly good.  Unsure of which to post, I asked my tactful hubby, who basically liked them both, but said the beets were more different and unexpected.  So, today's vegetable photo is my tie-dye beets!

Oh, and since I only bought 2 beets and cut most of the beet away to get decent cubes, they ended up in the trash, but dinner tonight will definitely feature corn-on-the-cob, since I bought 4 ears of that!

10 comments:

  1. I love your description of tie-dyed as that is exactly what I think it looks like and although the pattern in the yellow beet is not as obvious we can definitely see the difference in texture and the subtle pattern. I love this a lot because it is so different and such a surprise. the black background really makes them stand out and scream for attention. Perfectly placed and a bit of reflection makes this great photo. Corn on the cob is going to be delicious in the belly though! :-D Eury

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your square beets are amazing! Possibly my favourite vegetable pic so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, those look very unique, like vegetables out of a Mine-Craft world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's what you call a healthy square meal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're dicing with the unknown there. Great shot, fantastic idea and well executed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inspired selection! Nothing 'beets' natures capability to fascinate. Amongst a great series, this is the pinnacle for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colours and reflections and this certainly was a surprising way to present vegetables. Before I read your description I thought maybe it was tofu blocks or something, since I have never had beets or cut them open to see inside, so I had no idea they were full of all those tie-dyed colours. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating and a great idea for your shot. Beautifully presented and composed

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one is so gorgeous. I looked at it, and thought why did carol do candy squares instead of veggies? Aha, I should never underestimate the ingenuity of those who live north of me!!! Such a superb idea, and what results. You definitely have a creative mind!!! Yes definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vegetable Cubism, fascinating concept.
    You know you could have cooked the cubes or turn them into grated beet. Combined with rösti, baked appleslices and thin seasoned bacon steak .. yummy

    ReplyDelete