California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!

California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!
California Girls' Spectacular List of Everyday Things!

Monday, January 26, 2015

Day 26 - Paper


Paper.... so many things to do with paper.  So I dragged out some construction paper I've had in a drawer since my kids were in school.  Antique paper, almost....  and since I have always admired all the light-and-shadow photographs of bent/curled/folded paper, I decided to do that for my daily shot.

Well, it's not so easy... About 10 sheets of curled up, rolled up, scrunched up, stapled up paper can bear witness to that.  They are now in my trash can, along with various circles cut out and sort of rolled into potato chip shapes, which, while interesting to make, didn't want to arrange themselves into an attractive composition.

So I got out a pencil and started curling some strips around it that I had cut out.  Note to self: Do not use six-sided pencils - they create lines in your curves.  So I hunted around and found a round pen which I then used to create these curls.  Fat curls, skinny curls... by this time I was frustrated and just wanted to get some pictures.  Lots of trial and error, late at night (early in the morning actually).  I'm glad there are only 5 days of this madness left!  :)

But, I got my paper curls.  And I felt like a true kindergartner at heart!

7 comments:

  1. Very clever idea and nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's SO very pretty, Carol. Yes, I also found there was a lot of trial and error to get something nice. At first everything was just .. not right! LOL... but look at your wonderful shot. Lots of playing around to get to that point, but well worth it. I love the orange. Very smart to use a pencil and just get those perfect swirls and I like the recall of another one behind. Also, really good call on the reflection as it gives the composition a lot of depth! and yes, it feels like we have been doing this forever, but look up at your fantastic poster and all the amazing photos you have done this month. Yes, 5 more days, but 5 more treasures to add to it. You are fantastic and so are your photographs! Eury

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely colour and a delicate configuration. I like the rear repeat that works so well with the sharp foreground image and adds to the reflections. Fantastic idea and outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely. The reflection, the colours and I especially love the repeating shape of the second one all blurry in the background. Very pretty and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one is a wow-er! The beautiful bold orange and reflection, yet it is so dainty and demure. Such a great combination! I am glad that they decided to cooperate, and arrange themselves so beautifully for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. At first I thought you had used magic to create a matching shadow in the background but now I think you added a matching shape over there. But it really does not matter how you did it, the final image is all that counts. And that turned out to pretty and matching the poster. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well this shot was certainly worth all the effort and trying again and again. Beautiful colour and shapes against the light background and bonus reflections as well. A perfect fit for your poster and I am sure a great sense of achievement (and relief) as well.

    ReplyDelete